Thursday, February 25, 2010

How do I re-clear coat my car?

I have a 1993 Geo Prism and the clear coat is peeling off over large sections of the hood and some on the door. I was told my someone @ Kragen that I could sand the area and purchase ';spray paint cans'; of clear coat and try to do the job myself. I just need advice on how to go about it the best way, and if it is even something that is worth trying on my own. Thanks!How do I re-clear coat my car?
for a 93 prism I would trya nd do it myself. Just sand repaint and clear it. It will be a fun job. make sure you mask the areas you don't want paint on. You light even strokes. take your time. go for it.How do I re-clear coat my car?
If you fill the gas tank of a '93 Prism, you'll double it's trade value. I'd just say bye bye to a 14 year old car with a crappy paint job and get something newer.
Don't do it man! You get what you pay for. Sometimes you just have to bite that bullet and call in the experts. Don't even go to the ';cheapest'; shop in town. If it matters to you go on and do it right.





Is the car mechanically sound? Are you going to keep it? No buyer is going to buy it for looks/style etc. any ';buyer'; is going to wholesale it and it may end up as parts back overseas.... so weigh that into your decision as well..
tell the kragen guy u want to try it on his car first...
My husband is a certified paint and body man and I would not suggest doing that....you will be able to tell REALLY bad, if you dont use the right sand paper you will mess it up even worse. you really need a spray gun and an air compressor to do it right and I dont mean one you buy at walmart. the best thing you can do is to take it to a shop and have it done the RIGHT way. I dont mean Maaco either....they dont sand or anything. you can go the route of ';do it yourself'; but I would not suggest it! You may end up having a really big mess om your hands and a car that looks 10x worse!





Oh and to let you know...do not get your car painted with single stage paint either...it will pop off in a few years...honestly if I were you I would concider getting another car. those cars are not bad but we had a 95 prizm and after awhile it was just a giant pain in the as$. they are not worth ANY money and the parts are high...it may be a GM car but it is made by TOYOTA. that is why parts are expensive. I have a 95 Honda Accord I paid 1,500 for and I love my car...my parts are expensive too though. You dont have to spend alot of money to get a better looking and more reliable car! Good luck....but please dont paint your own car!

No comments:

Post a Comment