Thursday, February 25, 2010

Painting a car with enamel over clear coat?

My car has clear coat on it. I want to change the color, but I don't want to use paint that requires clear coat. Do I have to remove the clear coat before I paint it?Painting a car with enamel over clear coat?
I assume your using single pack auto enamel.


Good rub down with 400 wet should key the new paint.


35 years ago when I done my apprenticeship there was a saying that single pack enamel would ';stick like sh*t to a blanket';, and it was very true.Painting a car with enamel over clear coat?
No, it does not have to be removed. Just wet sand it with 400 grit if you plan to use a sealer, 500 grit if you will be painting right over the clear coat.


Clearcoat is an excellent sealer that resists solvent penetration, removing it will cause sand scratch swelling in your finish unless a sealer is used.
Listen to Schnauzer, clear coat is paint without color pigment, basically.
yes you will have to sand past it to get it t promote real good,other wise it will peel off,in a little while,you,ll need to prep the car pretty good, but all of the clear will have to be sanded off of it,in order for it to look good and stay on it ,good luck with it.
The easiest way would be to paint as is then apply another clear coat.
You may have a serious ';orange peel'; problem if you do that. Compound it down really good first.
No you do not need to remove the clearcoat just sand it nice and smooth with 400 grit sand paper

No comments:

Post a Comment