Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can I put a clear coat over an exsisting gel coat?

I have a cajun bass boat and I think it has a gel coat on it, cause I just got through sanding it down. It is a metal flake ';paint'; and therefore I assume it is a gel coat. I didn't take it all the way down to the bare fiberglass. Can I re-coat it with a clear coat?Can I put a clear coat over an exsisting gel coat?
Yes. But make sure that it is cleaned with a prep solvent. Use a good urethane or epoxy clear coat. Happy Boating!Can I put a clear coat over an exsisting gel coat?
yes you can ...


the metalic flakes are in the gelcoat.. so just recoat it with clear coat. you may have to do it again in a few years as most clear coats are not formulated for marine use...
Note: metallic flakes absorb the heat of the sun, therefore damaging the finish. Looks Pretty!!! will not last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment