Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Should I add a clear coat to single stage paint job? splatters on one side do i need to re-do?

I painted my bike with 3 coats single stage and it doesn't look shiny. Should I add a clear coat after the paint dries? Or will it be shinier when it dries? ALSO!, Paint splatted on one the right fairing, Should I re-sand and do it over?Should I add a clear coat to single stage paint job? splatters on one side do i need to re-do?
Most single stage paints can be clearcoated as long as an activator or hardner was used in the paint. If you didn't use a hardner or activator then don't clear it. It won't get shinier as it dries. It sounds like you may have ';dry sprayed'; it. If you don't put enough material on, then the paint won't shine. You need to put enough material on it to make it look wet. You probaly need to re-sand it and repaint it.Should I add a clear coat to single stage paint job? splatters on one side do i need to re-do?
Single stage what?





If enamel, you either used the wrong mix ratios, or reducers or hardeners.





If you shot a base color, it will be dull unless cleared.





You can clearcoat over either, but there is a time frame you gotta beat. Most have to be cleared within 12 to 20 hours for adhesion. The ';splatted'; thing I can't say. Don't know what you put on it, or what ';splatted';. It is possible that it could be color sanded and buffed, but I think you may be looking at a total ';do-over'; anyway.





Take the ';splatted'; fairing to wherever you bought your supplies and let them talk you through it.
  • my myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment