Thursday, February 25, 2010

Painted scratches on vehicle do I need a clear coat?

I patched up some scratches and patches of paint, do I need a clear coat in order for there to be no rust or does it matter? The paint seems to match exactly with the car and I don't car about the shine because you cannot notice it on the vehicle, I just don't want rust formation.Painted scratches on vehicle do I need a clear coat?
if the scratches went through to the bare metal then there is some risk, just apply some 1 part surface primer to the bare metal and the color coat, it won't hold off rust for ever but a very long time, if the scratch didn't reach the metal then there is no risk of rust..Painted scratches on vehicle do I need a clear coat?
if you sanded the scratches out and used a good self etching primer than it does not mater what you put over it as long as the bare metal is covered it should last but the problem with not putting clear coat over it it will fade quicker and the uv light could break the paint down over time
rust is cause by oxygen that has reached metal





if you painted over it, there should be no oxygen going into the metal


so you should be fine





if your still worried





wax your car, which you should be doing anyways


makes your car looks 1000x better, and also prevents rust,
you don,t have to clear coat it again. clear coat is just so the paint will stay clear. i took the clear coat off the roof of my car and only used high gloss spray paint.
  • my myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment