Saturday, February 27, 2010

Refinishing my electric guitar, what type of final coat (clear) should I use?

I already sanded, primed, and painted a guitar my friend loaned to me, but wasn't sure what type of final coat I need to use. I used metallic blue paint as my paint, woodgrain is not visible.Refinishing my electric guitar, what type of final coat (clear) should I use?
Clear varnish like ';Man o War might work. Also, check with the paint salesman, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.Refinishing my electric guitar, what type of final coat (clear) should I use?
Check and see what kind of paint the blue was. If it is acrylic or lacquer then the best thing to use is Duplicolor clear lacquer spray from an autoparts store. It is transparent so the color won't change and cures very hard. Here's how you do it:





1) Allow the color coat to cure at least 7 days.


2) LIGHTLY wipe guitar down with a tack rag (also available at an autoparts store).


3) Spray the clear according to the can directions. You should use at least 2 BIG cans- allow about 15 minutes between coats, and continue with the coats until you use it all. Hang in a place where it won't be disturbed.


4) Wait at least a week, then wet sand with 600 grit paper. Use a sanding block on the flat surfaces.


5) Tack the guitar off again and apply one more can of clear, then wait at least another week.


6) Wet sand as above with 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 grit sandpaper (don't skip grits!), then polish with rubbing compound THEN with polishing compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment